[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 03:44:10 UTC 2007

> The first step to getting the right answers is to ask the right
> questions.  If a person is not asked about any criminality in his past,
> he should not feel obliged to volunteer that information.

My view is that the current situation might in fact warrant
telling each job applicant, that wikipedia is currently a big
thing, and thus often under a microscope, so if they have
stuff that people might feel they want to use to embarrass
wikipedia/media with, it might be best to forewarn people
of the foundation, so that a comprehensive evaluation of
PR-risk can be done and effective defense strategies put
in place, preferably ahead of any attempts at mudslinging.

Such applicants should also be informed that the foundation
*will* protect to the best of its ability, the privacy of its staff
in every respect, *provided* it is given sufficiently accurate
description of possible concerns. It should be made clear that
the Foundation is going to be on their side in any matters
which they have disclosed to them, but that people seeking
to criticize _will_, as  likely as not, find out whatever it is.