[WikiEN-l] Google Knol: Move over Wikipedia?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 05:21:13 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Omegatron <omegatron+wikienl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if the potential exists for a Wikipedia clone to make revenue from
> ads, and then distribute that revenue to the "best" editors based on trust
> networks and metrics of neutrality, etc.  Reward people for making desirable
> edits that are neutral, reliably sourced, civil, and so on.  If they set it
> up well and kept the open source licensing, I'd migrate.

The idea of paid editing has been discussed several times, and there
is a good argument that it's not desirable to pay editors to write for
Wikipedia, even if it were possible. People approach tasks very
differently if they are rewarded than if they are not.  And then of
course, every system that uses metrics to determine rewards can, and
most certainly will, be gamed. Then the game will overwhelm the
original goal.

Steve