[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:00:48 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > B: I'm not 100% sure about all this story anyway - it's all too odd and
> too
> > many things are not adding up at all. Am I the only person who has noticed
> > the difference between the police mug shot and the glamorous blond who
> > worked for Wikipedia. Has the woman had facial surgery? So I could forgive
> > someone for not making the connection but not for failing to make basic
> > checks and asking for references - people do that to the women who clean
> > their floors in offices, yet alone handle the money. So I'm still thinking
> > about this.
>
> I think she was just wearing make up in the posed shot for Wikimedia
> and not in the mug shot. The lighting is also a little different.
> However, you're right that lots of things don't add up - that's
> because we don't have all the pieces since the WMF have been signing
> confidentiality agreements with no regard for the community - there's
> a big difference between a company signing such agreements and a
> charity with an almost exclusively volunteer workforce doing so.

Utter bullshit. Sorry about the language.

What we need to know is that the Foundation does its work without
disruption to facilitiating the consturcion and maintenance of hte
infrastrucute to enable the community to continue doint the work.

That is all the community has an interest in, when all is said and done.
That has never been at risk. And shan't be. I think the community has
zero interest in what Carolyn Doran did in her private life, except to the
point where it may have impacted her abilities to fulfil the matters she
was payed for. I know for a fact I don't care if she was a serial murderer,
as long as the wikimedia projects were not adversely affected, and she
did it on her own time.

Well, the last bit is a bit strong, but I think needs to be to drive home
the separation between staff and Trustees, and the community.