[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 17 02:04:00 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> Well, first of all, I don't think we could have had Jimbo be the one
> to break the story to us, since he is apparently restricted by a
> confidentiality agreement and/or some other legal constraints not to
> talk about it.  Secondly, wouldn't it be better for Christiano to just
> tell us directly?  Spin doesn't help us, whether it's Jimbo's positive
> spin or the Register's negative spin.

Well, maybe not Jimbo then, but having almost _anyone_ on the "inside"
be the one to break something like this to the public would be better
than having it be the Register or Wikipedia Review or somesuch.

IMO it's not so much a question of spin as it is a question of getting
the whole story out at once. That way there's less room for speculation,
which usually tends toward worst-case scenarios, and it improves our
credibility while depriving critics of an opportunity to lord it over
us. Even if the whole story really _is_ a "worst case scenario", at
least we'd get credit for coming clean on it.

Also perhaps this is a sign that Jimbo and the board need to reconsider
the confidentiality agreements that they've signed onto, if something
like that was what was preventing them from discussing matters that are
already out in the public record anyway.