[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Ral315 en.ral315 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:16:29 UTC 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 2:00 PM, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> G MZ wrote:
> > I cannot see what difference it would have made if Christiano had told
> Jimbo
> > - what would Jimbo have done differently?
>
> We could have had Jimbo be the one to break the story to us, rather than
> the Register. I don't like having forums that have traditionally been
> considered irrationally critical of Wikipedia turn out to be the best
> place to go to find out about Wikipedia's inner workings. It boosts the
> credibility of those forums at the expense of our own.<http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l>

I'm not a lawyer, but I highly suspect there are legal reasons why Jimbo
couldn't say anything, if he did have the opportunity to do so.  If he
responds after the Register article, then it's already public knowledge, and
he can talk about it; if he responds before it, then he's potentially
breaking confidentiality agreements and opening up the Foundation for a
lawsuit.

--
Sincerely,
Ral315