[WikiEN-l] What Knol may actually be: enterprise wiki substitute

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Sat Dec 15 18:02:30 UTC 2007

Quoting crock spot <crockspot at gmail.com>:

> Question: What are the licensing issues related to using Media Wiki in a
> closed corporate environment? Is there a non-free license one can purchase
> so that GFDL does not allow the whole world access to proprietary info?
>
> cs

You can use MediaWiki with any license you want. MediaWiki is itself GFDL but
things made with MediaWiki are not. If you edited the MediaWiki software the
GFDL would inherit to that but not if you write a document with it. A large
variety of licenses are used for various projects. The English Wikinews for
example uses Creative Commons Attribution 2.5. And Conservapedia uses a unique
one http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Copyright
(I love how even on that page they still feel a need to compare themselves to
Wikipedia. They have just a tiny obsession with us it seems). Anyways, the
point is that you can use MediaWiki without having to worry about the GFDL.