[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 14 18:10:31 UTC 2007

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu wrote:
> If it isn't true the Foundation and Doran should sue The Register for
> libel. If
> this is wrong it might even constitute sufficiently reckless behavior to be
> actionable in the United States, and certainly would be libel in Great Britain
> where the Register is. However, I doubt even the Register would be this
> sloppy.

Suing for libel is one of the sillier ideas to come up in this thread.
If that were to happen Mrs. Doran would have a much stronger right of
action than WMF.

The most important question about such a lawsuit is, "What would you
hope to accomplish with it?"  There would be a lot of legal costs to
bring the matter to court.  Would The Register even be able to cover
those costs if we won?  And think of the fun that all of Wikipedia's
detractors would have while all the dirty laundry was being displayed in
court and in front of the press.  Maybe a court would come out with a
declaration that we are right; that would still be an expensive declaration.

Ec