[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 14 03:11:47 UTC 2007

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu wrote:
> According to the Register,  the Foundation's former COO was convicted felon.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/wikimedia_coo_convicted_felon/
>
> This is just great. And now all the Register's previous material looks correct
> because they broke this nonsense. This is likely going to be all over the
> newspapers tomorrow. I'm so shocked and appalled that I don't even know
> what to
> say about this. Why were basic background checks not done and why
> didn't we know
> about this sooner. Are we trying to implode?
Shit happens.  She is no longer working with WMF.  Any large
organization will get these people from time to time, and unless she did
real direct damage to WMF while she was working why should this be
treated as such a big problem?  It's disappointing that she didn't get
the financial statements put together before she went to her secure
government employment, but we should avoid obsessing over the problem.
The obsessing can be more damaging than the original problem.

Ec