[WikiEN-l] DRV and WT:BLP

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Mon Dec 10 02:49:55 UTC 2007

Quoting Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca>:

> Anthony wrote:
>> I have a copy of the history and would be willing to extract the list
>> of authors and put it on the appropriate talk pages, if that'd satisfy
>> anyone.
>
> I've got a copy too, though somewhat fragmentary since I got it back
> when the export function had a 100-revision limit. I don't recall ever
> making any substantial edits to the page so I've got no direct personal
> interest in the matter. I'm mainly just upset at the inability of
> compromise to "stick" even when it's mandated by the license we're using
> this material under.

Satisfying the GFDL by putting things on the talk page is highly questionable.
And frankly, almost any Wikipedia article that mentioned Brandt is going to be
highly ranked, he won't be happy with this. And he's not going to stop. We had
something of a compromise among the community and this isn't it.

Furthermore, there's no justification under even the most broad interpretation
of BLP to allow this deletion. We don't delete redirects simply to
lower google
page rankings. The material that was left doesn't talk about Brandt by
and large
and thus isn't subject to any BLP concern whatsoever. The notion that we would
go out of our way to violate the GFDL simply to lower the page rank of a
variety of pages is absurd.