[WikiEN-l] Meet the Metz

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:57:15 UTC 2007

I do not disagree that offering to talk to the press is good.

I talk to press a moderate amount, on and off, in other fields (computing,
alt.space company stuff).  In some cases I know the press people, in other
cases I have just talked to them one or more times.

When the discussion is about something where there is a percieved conflict,
it's worthwhile finding out if the article is intended to be an honest
coverage of the incident, or simply taking a side and publicizing it.

What came out was simply taking a side and publicizing it.

If you know going in to an interview, or should have known going in, that
the piece is not going to try to present all sides, then it's not a "news"
story, it's an opinion/feature piece.  Some of those, it's probably not a
good idea to participate in.

If the journalist already has a firm set opinion that something's wrong,
engaging with them will often just give them more ammo.  Especially if they
think you're associated with the percieved "bad guy".

I don't suggest that we should do anything like a press blackout, even if we
could.  But I appeal to everyone's common sense.  If the journalist in
question is presenting dangerously unbalanced portrayals of the project, be
careful talking to them, and consider not talking to them.  Even if you tend
to agree with what you think their viewpoint is.

Nobody wins when purient shit-stirring happens in the press regarding the
project.

-george