[WikiEN-l] One alternative

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Dec 6 18:33:59 UTC 2007

Guy wrote:
 > Maybe people who incessantly restate their incorrect opinion in the
 > face of repeated rebuttals from people who are plainly much better
 > informed should, well, shut the fuck up.

Wasn't that attitude (though without the obscenity) basically what
Durova was insisting on in the immediate wake of her bad block... that
she knew what she was doing, and everybody should just shut up and trust
her on it?  Look how well *that* worked out...

If you mentally step out of your inner circle for a little bit and see
how you appear to others, maybe you'll realize just how arrogant it
comes off as.  You've got a one-note song, with your iPod set on
permanent auto-repeat: Everything that's ever wrong in Wikipedia is
always the fault of the evil banned trolls; no criticism ever needs to
be treated with anything but contempt, because the critics are enabling
the evil trolls.  It's all "us vs. them", an attitude that has served to
drive me over the last year from being one of the strongest
pro-Wikipedia supporters to a pretty intense critic.