[WikiEN-l] User honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 21:51:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 1:08 PM, John Reaves <johnreaveswp at gmail.com> wrote:
> User:Marine 69-71 was recently honored by the Senate of Puerto Rico for his
> work on articles related to the Puerto Rican military.  See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases (specifically:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71/Press_Releases#Senate_Resolution_.233603).
> I thought this should be announced here (if it hasn't been already) to
> remind us that we are here to build an encyclopedia, not obsess over drama.
>
> --John Reaves
> --[[User:John Reaves]]

Many (belated) congratulations to "Tony the Marine," or User:69-71,
who has done some truly outstanding writing in his years on Wikipedia
(400+ articles) and who last year was also honored by a US
Congressperson and the President of the Puerto Rican Senate. At least
the Senate recognizes the value of good writing and spreading
information :) Wikinews should do a story, if they haven't already. If
someone can translate, that'd be great too.

Additionally, I think this may be the first time that Wikipedia has
been mentioned in a parliamentary or congressional resolution of this
type. It's probably the first time that contributions to Wikipedia
have been cited in a formal governmental award, too. Yes? No?

-- phoebe