[WikiEN-l] banned vandalism reverting

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:32:50 UTC 2007

..,.being a couple of thoughts on the differences of approach in general
terms.

I totally understand the necessity of restricting users like myself from all
editing, including vandalism reversion on a pragmatic level - I can see for
example that some may view quality material as 'vandalism' because they
disagree with it, and they're crazy people. I am interested in the
priorities of users who would disagree with vandalism reversion on a
philosophical level - ie. the "you're not wanted, even if you're helping"
approach. The corollary of that approach is that the activity moves to email
(as it has in my case in a very friendly, happy, useful fashion) - which
seems to me to beg the question, why is that ethically a different activity?

Is it?

Further - a short note on Doc.s discussion of opening some of the Arb
proceedings - my personal feedback would be that there isn't enough on-wiki
communication on record to quickly and easily understand how the arb process
has moved forward, from gathering evidence, to considering it, to reaching
conclusions. I'd say this is evidenced by the number of unanswered questions
/ comments here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_arbitration/Privatemusings/Proposed_decision

I appreciate Guy's willingness to engage there, and personally, I would have
sincerely wished to either answer questions from any Arb, or discuss aspects
with them.

The 'select committee' system used in the UK - or the US senate committee
system could have some useful pointers for structures that could help.
Interestingly, here's an example of where a transparent flaw in said system
led to some damage to its reputation, and sympathy for an otherwise very
(very) unsympathetic character;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Galloway#Galloway.27s_response

And one to file in the 'it's unlikely anyone will read this far' box - does
anyone think that banned users should be able to !vote in things like the
Arb elections?

cheers,

PM.