[WikiEN-l] Newbies who don't act like newbies

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 15:59:09 UTC 2007

On 02/12/2007, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:

> So when did this trend of suspecting editors who don't have a history
> of "newbie mistakes" of being potential troublemakers start? I can
> think of several good faith explanations for this...

I don't know when it started, but it shouldn't ever have caught on.

We are approaching a state where it's becoming more and more difficult for
new editors to become part of the "community". I have firsthand accounts
from a growing number of real-life acquaintances who have had bad
experiences editing Wikipedia for the first time. They have had perfectly
legitimate edits reverted in some cases even by bots, they have had articles
listed for deletion on the same day as creation, before the original editor
is even finished adding detail and sources. I have not time to go chasing up
these incidents, and in any case, experience over the last couple years has
pretty much set me in the mindset that really I'm just wasting my time and
efforts to even try defend things against those who despite great
persistence, are misguided (even just through not being familiar with a
subject area, and assuming something is nonsense).

Wikipedia has lost its way. I can't see it returning to it either. Nevermind
the fact that a lot of process was pretty flawed even in the "good old
days".

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...