[WikiEN-l] Newbies who don't act like newbies

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:33:48 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 02/12/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/12/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>>

>>> What constitutes "bad behavior" is dependent in part on whether or not
>>> you're socking.  According to arb com less than 24 hours ago,
>>> "Sockpuppet accounts are not to be used in discussions internal to the
>>> project, such as policy debates."  While maybe that is an overbroad
>>> statement, I still think it's valid in at least some situations.
>>>
>> No, that's entirely fair.
>>
>> It is, however, valid to say that *alternate* accounts can be used in
>> internal discussions, so long as your use of them does not turn into
>> sockpuppetry - in other words, keep them seperate and don't have them
>> work on the same topics or in the same discussions and you're fine.
>>
>> The trick is remembering that alternate accounts can become
>> sockpuppets, but aren't automatically such, and the community has a
>> long history of recognising that.
>>

> Still fails. I sometimes use Genisock2 in copyright debates and the
> like simply because I got to that page while using that account and
> don't feel like switching browsers.

I don't think a publicly-declared alternate account is the same as a
sockpuppet. I have one alternate account (for use on public terminals
where I don't want to use my admin account and password) which is
clearly marked as being me. I don't think anyone could reasonably object
if I were on a public terminal and wished to use that account in project
discussions. The main problematic issue is socks like Privatemusings,
where an editor might use them to keep a controversial viewpoint secret.
I support prohibiting that-the community should know where a given
editor stands, and use of a bunch of different accounts in projectspace
prevents that.