[WikiEN-l] Balance of sanction [Was: Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair]

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Sat Dec 1 19:43:30 UTC 2007

Quoting Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com>:

> Ken Arromdee wrote:
> Furthermore, I find it disingenuous that a DMCA notice (which may or may not
> have been sent by Durova, because nobody's willing to say anything) is not
> considered to be a legal threat that violates the No Legal Threats policy.

Excuse me, but are you aware of how ridiculous this is? That means if someone
had a copyright violation on Wikipedia and they were an editor on
Wikipedia and
they sent a take-down notice we'd respond by blocking them? Are you
aware of how
ridiculous that sounds? Granted sending take-down notices is not the
best way of
handling this sort of situation, but the idea of blocking someone who is
legitimately protecting copyright seems a bit... off. The no legal
threats rule
is primarily for dealing with things like libel suits that are directed
at other
editors.