[WikiEN-l] Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Dec 1 16:07:46 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 10:52 AM, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:25:00 +0000, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Openness will from time to time require semi private communications
> >become public.
>
> In this case, it was necessary to publish the email only in order to
> ensure that Durova was adequately humiliated.  You'll excuse me, I
> hope, for finding that just ever so slightly distasteful.

If that was the only reason it was done I'd find it distasteful too.
Justified, but distasteful.  In this case the publication of the email
served at least one other purpose, though.  It served to bring to
public light the existence of two secret mailing lists and gave us all
at least a hint at the improper things which are occurring on those
mailing lists.  And, frankly, it's for that reason that some arb com
members want to punish Giano.  Humiliating people who have made a
mistake isn't the problem.  That's what the arb com does every day.