[WikiEN-l] Misogyny is the perfect troll

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:31:32 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I will not comment on the "few women in the upper echelons of
> Wikipedia", but I can comment on the "very numerous women in the upper
> echelons of the Foundation".
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimania_2007_dungodung_79.jpg
> this is a picture taken at Wikimania, the first wikichix meeting.
>
>  From top, going to the right
> Sue Gardner, head of executive
> Henna, dev, from netherlands
> Phoebe, usa, leader of Wikimania 2006 and co-organiser of 2007
> Frieda, italian, chair of Wikimedia Italy, board member of WMF
> Delphine, french, chapter coordinator of WMF
> Oooops, memory hole...
> Brianna, australia, wikicommons (keen I think)
> Another memory hole, shame on me. She is german and very involved in
> various Wikimedia Deutschland activity.
> Kat, usa, board member
> Aphaia, japanese, translation committee head
> Anthere, chair of WMF
> Sandy, communication manager

The second "memory hole" (in the black t-shirt) seems to be Nina
Gerlach (I *think* but I'm not sure if this is
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Nina). I can't make out who is
in the blue top, to Delphine's left.

On misogyny and sexism as engrained practices - it's still quite a
sorry state of the world - I wonder if the Wikichix group has
developed any resources for the wider community to ponder, and to take
action?

Cormac