[WikiEN-l] Jayjg is not AWOL

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 05:01:01 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Armed Blowfish wrote:
>
>> No.  There are plenty of matters on which I disagree with Jayjg.
>> But I do believe he means well, and oversight is basically a Good
>> Thing (TM), quite usefull for protecting privacy.  Letting me
>> know exactly what sort of information is being protected
>> would defeat the point of protecting it.
>>

> Knowing what _sort_ of information is being oversighted is a far cry
> from knowing the information itself, I don't see how it defeats the
> point. If I were to ask why something was oversighted there's a big
> difference between getting the answer "because it contained personal
> identifying material" and "it contained the home address of
> User:Encyclofreak, who lives at 121 Big Tree Road in Seattle, NV".

That was brought up on-wiki as well, and I would tend to agree. Just
like a deleted attack article just contains a deletion summary,
something to the effect of "G10: Attack page", but not the offending
text itself. There's a big difference between "Oversighter removed 2
revisions: Contained personal information" and "Someuser's phone number
is 123-456-7890! Call him and tell him he sucks!"