[WikiEN-l] What en:wp would look like printed out

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 16:34:51 UTC 2007

Adrian wrote:
> [...] We're getting swamped with fan-writing on all
> sorts of topics, much of it related to popular culture. I believe we
> need to reign this in before even more intellectual editors decide leave
> this kindergarten. Why is fan enthusiam encouraged over professional
> enthusiasm? It may give Wikipedia greater popularity in the short run,
> but it's ruining it in the long run. Or is it just me?

There are 99 fans for every professional (note the two sets are not
disjoint), so it shouldn't be too surprising that the disproportion is
reflected in WP. If we continue with our practice of quietly pruning
down (usually unsourced) "fan" content, while leaving the (usually
sourced) "intellectual" content, over time the intellectual content will
be greater and greater.

Stan