[WikiEN-l] Redirects, was Re: Re: Writing for the Pedia

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 29 10:20:10 UTC 2007

"michael west" wrote

> As for REDIRECTS - what is the current policy? take two of my google
> searches yesterday as examples*  j s m ward  *
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=jsm+ward&spell=1
> -
> the first wikipedia page is miles away John Sebastian Marlow Ward

I would have no hesitation in creating a redirect of [[J. S. M. Ward]] to [[John Sebastian Marlow Ward]]. I would do that simply on the basis that an academic book indexed Ward by initials.

> ;and kryolite (my alternative? spelling of Cryolite)
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=kryolite&meta= If one hears
> a word on television or radio its not always obvious how it is spelled

Typos a little harder to justify. If this is an actual alternate spelling, the redirect would be automatic

> i would never suggest that every permutation of an articles name should be a
> redirect, but i  wouldn't consider writing one now that everybody has TW. I
> just wouldn't be bothered with arguing over a PROD on a redirect.

The resource implications of redirects are apparently small. Using many bytes to justify deleting a couple of dozen seems to make little sense.

Charles