[WikiEN-l] When Websites Attack

Iamunknown iamunknown at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:10:46 UTC 2007

> On 26 Aug 2007 at 17:00:07 +0100, <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> [long line rewrapped in accordance with RFC 2822]
> > "Daniel R. Tobias" wrote
> >
> > > * Anti-pedophile site Perverted Justice set up a redirect based on
> > > HTTP referrers so that anybody following links to any page in their
> > > site from Wikipedia get redirected to a criticism page that blasts
> > > Wikipedia for not cracking down on pedophile editors.  This made the
> > > whole thing an "attack site" according to some who seem to think that
> > > anything that has anything critical to say about Wikipedia is an
> > > "attack" that must not be linked to.
> >
> > Question: What connection would there be between compiling an
> > encyclopedia, and linking to any site which took the step of
> > redirecting incoming links to somewhere not intended?
>
> I mentioned what was ultimately done in response to the redirection,
> the changing of links to unlinked URLs in places where they're needed
> as references.
>
> [snip]
>
> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
> Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
> Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

(Sorry for the weird formatting.  I signed up just now to reply to
this post, so I don't have the e-mail to -actually- reply to.)

Don't delink them!  Just use Template:Derefer, in the format
{{Derefer|http://URLHERE.com/|NAME OF THE LINK HERE}}  It links to a
website which, by redirecting to the target URL using meta tags,
strips the HTTP request of the referring URL.  I added it to
[[Perverted-Justice]] and it worked just fine.

We may want to set up a page on Wikipedia which does the redirecting
(it would have be through the techies, since the wiki formatting would
not support it) so that the template does not link to an outside URL,
which someone could redirect to a malicious web page.

--Iamunknown ([[User talk:Iamunknown]])