[WikiEN-l] When Websites Attack

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Aug 27 12:19:50 UTC 2007

On 26 Aug 2007 at 16:07, Armed Blowfish wrote:

> It doesn't matter if the attack site is 'evil' or not.  It doesn't
> even matter if the content actually qualifies as an 'attack' (by
> whatever standards), or is just hurtful to someone.  It's about
> protecting people (usually editors, but not always) from
> psychological harm, or occasionally other types of harm.

That's too subjective a standard.  The things that offend
individuals, and possibly cause them psychological harm, are as
varied as humans are.  Protecting everybody from every real or
imagined harm they may claim is inconsistent with allowing individual

freedom.

> Again, courtesy blankings and deletions are not sanctions against
> any one.

I've never much liked courtesy blankings either... I'm from the old-
school geek mindset of "Information wants to be free".

--
== Dan ==