[WikiEN-l] When Websites Attack

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 23:17:47 UTC 2007

on 8/26/07 6:34 PM, Daniel R. Tobias at dan at tobias.name wrote:

> Although, I wouldn't classify the BADSITES policy as being "open" or
> "informal" in any way... nor does it fit very well into the general
> philosophical framework of the early, geeky, community; geeks tend to
> have "Information Wants To Be Free"-style positions in opposition to
> wanting tight control over the flow of information.
>
> There wasn't likely to be any pressure for an anti-attack-site policy
> in the earliest days, anyway, since when it was a small geeky project
> it probably didn't have very many attackers out there yet.
>
> That sort of policy is more of an artifact of the middle stage...
> when it's grown way beyond the tiny size of its early days, but some
> are desperately trying to keep (awkwardly and artificially) the
> cohesiveness and collegiality of those days, by forcibly shutting out
> parts of the outside world they find to disrupt it.

Daniel,

That "cohesiveness and collegiality" can certainly be maintained. In fact,
this is crucial to survival. A community at war with itself is the most
vulnerable to outside influences.

> You're hopefully right that they'll outgrow that eventually, but what
> sort of structure will develop next?

We must begin by asking what type of culture it is that we want. Then,
creatively, build a structure that supports it - and is in harmony with it.

Marc