[WikiEN-l] When Websites Attack

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 17:04:31 UTC 2007

I have no trouble at all with the concept of removing links being used
specifically for the purpose of making a personal attack against a
wikipedian.  What I do have problems with is removing ALL links to a site,
regardless of the reason for the link's presence.  Particularly when those
links are used as references or are part of a relevant encyclopedia article,
deleting these links actually increases the drama and spreads the
hypothetical attack against the editor, because other editors will question
the reason for removal.

The section on external links currently embedded in NPA is inappropriate, as
most of these links are NOT personal attacks.  It should be replaced with a
prohibition on using any links for the purpose of making a personal attack.
The discussion of removing ALL or MOST external links to sites that may
harbour a personal attack against an individual Wikipedian is more correctly
done at WP:EL.

Risker