[WikiEN-l] Making damn sure image attribution is very clear

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Fri Aug 24 23:09:28 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell schreef:
> On 8/24/07, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:
> * It would be wrong for us to widen the attribution gap between
> photographers and text writers. We can't inline credit all text
> authors because some articles have hundreds of authors. So inline
> credit would provide discriminatory attribution.

Most of our text is written by wikipedians. They do not expect
attribution. Text that is imported from other sources should be
attributed. (EB1911, MathWorld, etc.)

Photographers outside of Wikipedia also expect attribution.

<snip>

> * Even if it's not advertisement we have users with names like
> "User:NoseNuggets"... if thats their preferred name for attribution it
> would be a bullet in the head of the current professionalism of our
> pages.

This is no problem: we don't have to add attributions to Wikipedia
users, only to external sources.

> I've suggested several in the past that we provide a more obvious
> attributions link, for example:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/example

This looks good, I like it.

Eugene