[WikiEN-l] Making damn sure image attribution is very clear

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:40:13 UTC 2007

> On 8/24/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree.  It doesn't actually have to be in the caption; in a tiny
> > font immediately under the image is fine.
>
> Author asks to be credited with a link. You see the problem yes?

We don't have to accede to that.  However, it might be reasonable, for
classes of free image requiring credit, to give credit in the actual
article use.

> > If we're uncomfortable with
> > the author name, we should at least put something like 'click to see
> > copyright information' there.
>
> That is a software issue.

Of course it is.  However, we're discussing how what we do with images
in articles can be improved, many aspects of which are software
issues.

> > I also think we should improve our handling of image metadata in
> > thumbnails.  At the very least we should retain copyright information
> > embedded in the original.
>
> How do you tell what in the original is copyright information?

Read up on image metadata formats.

Quite a lot of people use IPTC metadata, which includes fields such as
'Copyright'.

I'm not talking about in-Wikipedia metadata, to be clear - I'm talking
about metadata in the image.

-Matt