[WikiEN-l] joint authorship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Aug 24 17:28:15 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> (Please excuse the extensive quoting, I decided it really was
> necessary to include the 3 preceding emails for my email to make
> sense.)

No problem.  Your past quotation practices have been tended to
foreshoten the background to what you say a little too much.

>>> The publisher is Wikipedia, surely? That's stated in plenty of places
>> Surely not.  Wikipedia is not an entity.  The Wikimedia Foundation is
>> an entity, but they specifically state that they are not publishers.
>>
> Ok, I don't know about the legal definitions, but by the everyday
> meaning of the word, the WMF is the publisher. They are the one that
> makes the content available to the public, that's what the word means.
Perhaps then it would be good to read what distinction you make between
a publisher and an ISP.  I think that it is a distinction that would be
crucial in any legal dispute.

Ec