[WikiEN-l] Freebase launches public alpha

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:33:04 UTC 2007

Sorry for the blog-like tone of this, but, well, I copied it from my blog.
Basically public alpha means you dont need an account to view the content,
its moving forward, is pretty spiffy, actually. Any thoughts about
implementing variables, potentially given values through the infoboxes we
have, to give the same sort of easily called, easily distributed ability to
our articles on companies and people?

Freebase invites<http://blog.worldliberationfront.com/2007/08/freebase-invites.html>

I've been an alpha tester on Freebase, a nifty project to create a
wikipedia-like source of information on things, without the prose as a
simply straight facts version. Check out the starbucks page for example,
here. <http://www.freebase.com/view/starbucks> Especially geared towards
applications and web 2.0 stuff, with a full featured API to dynamically call
content. This is quite a nice feature for developers to use when integrating
with the content, an ability I'd like to see in wikipedia at some point.
It's now moved in to a public alpha, meaning I have ten invitations to the
project if anyone wants it. Hit me up if you do.

--
-Brock