[WikiEN-l] Possible legal violation in the use of a government seal?

Benjamin Esham bdesham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 02:16:17 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> > This is a good point.  Perhaps I'll change the licensing to {{PD-self}}
> > to avoid a debate about it.
>
> If you don't own the copyright, you can't release it into the public
> domain. PD is no different from GFDL in that respect.

The image is my photograph of a wood rendering of the legally-defined seal.
The law itself is in the public domain, so unless the wood rendering can be
considered to be some kind of derivative work, the rendering and thus the
photograph are in the public domain.

--
Benjamin D. Esham
E-mail/Jabber: bdesham at gmail.com | AIM bdesham128 | PGP D676BB9A