[WikiEN-l] Guy Chapman's commentary...

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Aug 22 00:49:09 UTC 2007

On 21 Aug 2007 at 12:04:11 -0700, "George Herbert"
<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Discussed on one of the admin pages on-wiki, but JzG has some things
> to say while on break...
>
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Me_and_Wikipedia

He's got some points in there, but I have to disagree strenuously
with the paragraph about Wikipedia not sufficiently protecting MONGO.
Yes, MONGO has been trolled, but he has also continually fed the
trolls, and many of his woes are self-inflicted.  As for Wikipedia
not protecting him, I don't know what alternate universe that is
written from, but the way I see it, he's always had a powerful clique
circling their wagons around him every time he's (sometimes justly)
criticized, and making sure that all the slings and arrows aimed at
him bounce back and injure his critics instead.  After all that, he's
still peeved because not everybody who has ever had a bad word to say
about him has been summarily, permanently banned on just his say-so,
and that, on a few occasions, a necessity to give due process to
people he accuses of wrongdoing has been observed.  He and his
friends have often been seen organizing "a sustained, vicious, well-
orchestrated and relentless attack" against those who oppose him, but
nobody can call them bullies without being labeled as a "troll".

It's long past time that the rules of Wikipedia be enforced
impartially on everybody, not with the double standard where the
favored clique is always right and anybody opposing them is always
wrong.

--
== Dan ==