[WikiEN-l] Forced preview for IPs

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:11:35 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Adrian <aldebaer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also, in my opinion, the undo function should be disabled for IPs, it's
> not needed to edit and may seduce new IP editors into avoidable edit wars.

A dramatization of a real conversation from last week...

Non-wikipedian friend: I saw an article in the news today that linked
to incidents of people a companies whitewashing their articles, but it
appears the changes were usually corrected. How does Wikipedia find
and correct things like that so quickly?

Me: Click this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&hideliu=1&namespace=0
Me: Then middle click on the word "diff" from a several of the lines,
new tabs will open.
Me: Look at the tabs, if the change you are shown is obviously bad
click undo and then hit save.

Friend: Anyone is allowed to do this? This is really cool.
Friend: So it relies on the greater amount of good than bad people?

We had a good conversation after that.

Undo makes it easier for people to contribute. Please don't remove
undo for anons.