[WikiEN-l] Forced preview for IPs

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 17:26:56 UTC 2007

On  0, Adrian <aldebaer at googlemail.com> scribbled:
> Are there any plans to adopt the forced preview for IPs, like on the
> German WP? It seems like a good method to curb IP enthusiasm just a
> little bit.
>
> Also, in my opinion, the undo function should be disabled for IPs, it's
> not needed to edit and may seduce new IP editors into avoidable edit wars.
>
> Adrian

I don't think there are, and I hope there aren't. Sometimes I find myself going through interwikis for a particular article and moving all the images over to Commons & sorting/rationalizing/removing-duplicates, and updating the links. In those situations I absolutely hate editing (as an anon, of course, since I can't be troubled to create accounts on the Urdu WP, the Uighur WP, the French WP...) and then finding myself wondering what went wrong with my edit? Why didn't it save? I *thought* I hit the right button, that's where the save button usually is.

Eventually I realize I'd found one of the WPs which had turned forced preview on. Cursing their choice, I hunt around and eventually commit my edit.

Please don't argue for En to become one of those.

--
gwern
charges TECS ISWG CdC minuteman MYK bombs spies Goldman Kiwis