[WikiEN-l] Our content gets *everywhere*

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:12:32 UTC 2007

It worries me a little that I can spot Wikipedia text a mile off - our
house style isn't that obvious, is it? - but it seems to be one of
those little skills you pick up after a while. Very useful for marking
school essays, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I was packing up some boxes today, and happened across the box
for the Nokia 770 (a really useful little bit of kit, incidentally),
which shows someone merrily using the device to chatter away to a
friend on an instant messenger. For some reason, the friend is writing
something to them about poetry.

I looked at the sentence. Something went click.

"Kim: A poem is a composition usually written in verse. Poems rely
heavily on imagery, precise word choice, and metaphor, may be written
in measures consisting of" [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Literature&oldid=3562677

I'm used to seeing our content reused all over the place, but somehow
I didn't expect to see fragments used as lorem-ipsum filler on a box
cover...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk