[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 49, Issue 91

Dick Clark crotalus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:46:50 UTC 2007

People who don't understand our project say all sorts of things. So far as I
can tell, there is no evidence that "Diebold" edited any articles. Now, of
course there is evidence that someone from the Diebold IP range did. We
shouldn't attribute actions to a group when the group is not likely the
responsible party. I mean, do you guys really think that some guy is getting
paid by Diebold to edit entries, from their location no less? C'mon, anyone
that Diebold hired to do such a thing would almost certainly be working
off-site. My guess is that it was just some guy at Diebold doing something
that his superiors didn't even know about.

I would remind my fellow Wikipedians about this passage from WP:COI

COI edits are strongly discouraged. When they cause disruption to the
encyclopedia in the opinion of an uninvolved administrator, they may lead to
accounts being blocked and embarrassment for the individuals and groups who
were being promoted.[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:COI#_note-0> Merely
participating in or having professional expertise in a subject is not, by
itself, a conflict of interest.
Editors who may have a conflict of
interest<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:COI#Editors_who_may_have_a_conflict_of_interest>are
not barred from participating in articles and discussion of articles
where they have a conflict of interest, but must be careful when editing in
mainspace.

There is no policy against Diebold employees editing the Diebold article.
There are policies requiring NPOV, RS, etc. Let's not complicate things by
introducing a competing COI standard now. The existing policies work just
fine.

DC