[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for fun, for profit, for mild curiosity, for sharing, for whatever

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 03:35:43 UTC 2007

On 8/13/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> Oh please, stop blaming the victim.  I'm not a disruptive user, and
> you yourself didn't have any problem with the honest mistake I made
> until today when I question your actions (something which I did
> without mentioning your name until you did so yourself).

Whoa whoa whoa. You were questioning *my* actions, come again?

Exactly what action of mine were you questioning in this thread?

I await with baited breath your explanation of this one. It's sure to
be a doozey.

> So, that's one policy you violated.

Your policy argument makes no sense to me:  Someone other than me
checkusered an impersonation account and shared the results with me as
part of an investigation into that account that I was conducting,
doing so was perfectly fine with policy.

I've still not posted the identity of the impersonator account,
although there is nothing stopping me from doing so.

I did not do so previously because I hoped you action was more
stupidity than intentional disruption, and would mend your trollish
ways. Now I continue to not disclose it because no one has asked and
the process of of people searching for it and unearthing more
disruptive accounts would be beneficial.

If you think it's a violation of your privacy to non-specifically
describe to others how you caused harm using a sock account, I'm just
going to have to invite you to pound sand.

We have checkuser precisely to catch harmful behavior, and if you
don't like that then we should remind you that nothing is making you
edit the site.

If you don't impersonate or disrupt it's unlikely that anyone would
checkuser you, but if you don't edit at all then people have no
ability to do so.

> If you think I've libeled you, then I invite you take it up with a
> court of law.

de minimis non curat lex

While the negative statements you made about me were untrue, should
have been known to you to be untrue, and certainly appear to have been
made as part of malicious attack on my character... No harm to me can
come of it, because so little credibility is granted to your rantings.
No court would care, nor should it.

My request for an apology was a request to conform with a community
standard of civility, not an offer to begin litigation.  You would
have heard about litigation from me via a process server, not a
mailing list server. :)