[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for fun, for profit, for mild curiosity, for sharing, for whatever

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 20:50:07 UTC 2007

On 13/08/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, yes, I find problem's with the president's overseas policy, so I
> should shut up or run?

On a wiki, everyone is Jimbo.

> I wouldn't actually give people access to the database for any reason,
> though.  I'm a bit shocked that's how it's done, too.

I think there'd be a fun old time running the finicky
gaffer-tape-and-string wonders of MySQL without anyone having access
to the database. But as I said, I look forward to your solution.

> > What the whuh? Link?

> It was a fairly recent post, in the past week or so, where something
> came up about checkuser, and a list member offered to share his
> results of the check user with others with the privilege so they
> wouldn't have to look it up.
> That you didn't even notice is what I am talking about, that this post
> went by without a blink, is what I am talking about--there are no
> privacy considerations, a little sharing of what was revealed is all
> fun and fair.

No, it's that I'm not even going to attempt to address a complaint of
malfeasance of such ridiculous vagueness. Shit or get off the pot.

> > Indeed, much as every man is a potential fabulous drag queen. That is,
> > theoretically.

> Nice try.  Well, not really.

Your logic has floored me.

> This will still come back and bit Wikipedia real ugly.  There is no
> security and Wikipedia does not take user's privacy seriously enough
> to demand that those with the potential to invade it strictly limit
> everything they do with the knowledge they gain possession of.

I look forward to your proposed rewrite of [[m:CheckUser]] then.

- d.