[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:53:15 UTC 2007

On 13/08/07, Armed Blowfish <diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Okay, so I am banned for using Tor and running a Tor exit node, right?
>
> So can I pretty please qualify for emotional protection under
> [[Wikipedia:Banning_policy#Dealings_with_banned_users]], where it
> says, 'Wikipedia's hope for banned users is that they will leave
> Wikipedia with their pride and dignity intact, whether permanently or
> for the duration of their ban. As such, it is inappropriate to bait
> banned users or take advantage of their ban to mock them.'

You're not banned; you're not being baited or mocked. You're
*voluntarily choosing a course of action* which leads you to get
mocked. If I chose that same course of action I would get the same

I am not the first to point this out.

We are here to write an encyclopedia. We are not here to spend hours
endlessly adjusting the processes for each and every person who feels
they can't work with the processes we have. There are ten thousand
active and committed editors on enwp; why do we have to bend over
backwards to accomodate the fact that you, alone in those ten
thousand, feel you don't have to abide by our normal standards?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk