[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:39:29 UTC 2007

> Okay, so I am banned for using Tor and running a Tor exit node, right?
>
> So can I pretty please qualify for emotional protection under
> [[Wikipedia:Banning_policy#Dealings_with_banned_users]], where it
> says, 'Wikipedia's hope for banned users is that they will leave
> Wikipedia with their pride and dignity intact, whether permanently or
> for the duration of their ban. As such, it is inappropriate to bait
> banned users or take advantage of their ban to mock them.'
>
> Also BLP....

I'm banned from using Tor to edit Wikipedia as well. I'm also banned
from vandalising Wikipedia, from uploading copyrighted images without
stating the source, from reverting an article more than 3 times in 24
hours, etc, etc, etc. Should I get treated as a banned user?

You are not banned. There is nothing stopping you editing Wikipedia.
You simply choose not to. It's exactly the same as if you were a
member of a religion which refuses to use computers. You wouldn't be
able to edit Wikipedia then, either, but that would be entirely your
own doing.