[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:45:13 UTC 2007

> I still feel banned.  There is more than one option available to
> unblock individual Tor users.

Allowing individual Tor users to edit Wikipedia involves adding a line
to LocalSettings.php and having a Steward give you the permission.
It's easy. But why would we do that? We don't allow people to edit
through anonymous proxies (and there is no consensus that Tor nodes
are not anonymous proxies - I, for one, certainly don't see any
significant difference) for a reason. That reasons applies to you just
as it applies to anyone else. If there is a reason to make an
exception for you, then there is a reason to make an exception for
pretty much anyone, in which case we should simply remove the rule.