[WikiEN-l] More Jimbo quotes on Tor

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:29:28 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Gracenotes <wikigracenotes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because then, we won't have to tell people to change the way they
> connect to the internet in order to actively contribute to a small part
> of it.
>
> Jimbo's words may not carry any more weight than anyone else's,
> but the fact that you fail to see why we should allow editors to
> override a TOR block implies that you *should* read them: not
> for their authority, but for their logic. This is a way to ban proxies
> without banning people, in line with the recent ArbCom
> ruling, to allow more good-faith anonymizing proxy users
> to contribute, and vanishingly less bad-faith users. The only
> problem is that no one cares.

I'm in full agreement.

We're not an anonymity service, but until the day we make giving your
real name + DNA sample a requirement for editing we should try to be
as friendly towards outside anonymity services as we can reasonably
be.

If anything the ability to handle the good users coming through a set
of anonymous proxies will allow us to be more aggressive at blocking
sources of problems.

The ability for people who don't play fairly to sockpuppet exists
whether or not we have the ability to create proxy block exceptions.
As such, our decision making processes need to be robust against sock
manipulation.

The purpose of blocking open proxies isn't to close every opportunity
for socks, since we simply can't manage that. The purpose is to stop
things like vandalbots.  Handing out proxy block exceptions to
established users will have no negative ability in our ability to
block vandalbots.