[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Aug 11 17:54:46 UTC 2007

On 11 Aug 2007 at 12:23:40 -0500, "Armed Blowfish"
<diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The community denied my unblock-auto request, which makes it a
> community ban.  'If not one out of 1,298 administrators is willing to
> unblock a user, the user can be considered banned.'  See
> [[Wikipedia:Banning_policy#Decision_to_ban]].

But it's not your username, or you as a person, that's banned, it's
merely the IP addresses of the proxy servers which are the only means
you choose to use to access the site.  Thus, although this
effectively prevents you from editing, it's not actually a ban of you
personally.

If somebody is such a strict vegetarian that they won't eat anything
prepared in a kitchen where meat is prepared, or somebody is keeping
kosher so strictly that they won't eat anything prepared in a
nonkosher kitchen, then such a situation means that there are many
homes and restaurants they are unable to eat in.  This is not the
same as saying they're "banned" from those places, however.  (Shades
of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi.)

Perhaps it's even a matter of necessity rather than choice, as when
they're severely allergic to peanuts and must avoid any food that
even has a chance of having touched something with peanut residue;
this may impose severe limits on what they can eat, and where their
food may come from, but it still wouldn't make sense for them to
claim they were "banned" from places that use peanuts.

--
== Dan ==