[WikiEN-l] Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 04:52:01 UTC 2007

On  0, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> scribbled:
> There are three "levels" or types of deletion:
>
> 1. Blanking --> simplest, anyone can do this and view the blanked content in
> the history
> 2. Deletion --> admins can do this easily, other admins can see this and it
> is shown in a public log
> 3. Oversight --> [[m:Hiding revisions]] revisions are *permanently* removed
> from the database by those with the "oversight" permission, can only
> be re-added by developers (I think root).  However, there is a private log
> that shows a *little* information.  Oversights (people with the oversight
> permission) are assigned by ArbCom.

> --
> Casey Brown

Don't forget level 4: "Deleted off the hard disks completely." IIRC, everything that was deleted (#2) before something like March 2004 was accidentally completely deleted (#4) by the devs, and of course we only comparatively recently got true #2 deletion for images (that is, allowing for admins to undelete).

--
gwern
Verizon BZ ReMOB Event W70 Wilma DODIG ETA DNR replay