[WikiEN-l] Clarification about prevailing AFD closing practices

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:30:56 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are correct...but only in general. A lot of people interpret "The
> closing admin should only interpret consensus, never override it" as
> "Count the votes and shut up."

> Admins are expected to look at strength of argument, applicable policies
> and guidelines, and the like, and weight accordingly.

This is just my opinion but I think a closing admin should, for normal
issues such as "notability"[1], be able to set aside an AFD consensus
if he feels the umm, "voters" didn't properly consider policy but only
if it's a "delete" consensus just as judges in US jury trials can set
aside only "guilty" verdicts. A "bad" article kept can always be
renominated later.

1. Deletions for issues such as privacy, copyright, and some BLP
concerns should be an exception.