[WikiEN-l] Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:55:27 UTC 2007

There are three "levels" or types of deletion:

1. Blanking --> simplest, anyone can do this and view the blanked content in
the history
2. Deletion --> admins can do this easily, other admins can see this and it
is shown in a public log
3. Oversight --> [[m:Hiding revisions]] revisions are *permanently* removed
from the database by those with the "oversight" permission, can only
be re-added by developers (I think root).  However, there is a private log
that shows a *little* information.  Oversights (people with the oversight
permission) are assigned by ArbCom.

On 8/8/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/07, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On  0, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> scribbled:
> > > Nope, I'm talking about an admin who recently oversighted much of his
> > > talk page, then himself.  And it's not the first time I've seen it
> > > happen.  And courtesy oversights are done for users all of the
> > > time--and I don't mean "delete," unless by that you mean good-bye to
> > > the page's edit history also.
> > >
> > > KP
> >
> > Uh, yes, I do. That's what deletion means. It's not just page blanking,
> but rendering inaccessible to admins all past revisions/page history. That's
> what it has always meant; courtesy deletions aren't sinister at all. I've
> requested and done them many a time.
> >
> > Oversight is deletion for admins; deletion where they aren't allowed to
> see what was deleted. The only 'courtesy oversights' I can think of is the
> usual OTRS and "personal information" stuff. (Well, that and embarrassing
> stuff like the original Seigenthaler article. That was deleted and moved and
> oversighted so many times I'm not sure it can be recovered even with
> oversight.)
> >
> > --
> > gwern
> > L34A1 Uziel Razor Avi AOL ISI Delta MI-17 B-52h/g garbage
> >
> So, explain this slowly, so I udnerstand.  There are actually three
> levels of deletion, or maybe only two.  When a page history is deleted
> so only the annoited can see what was there, that's just regular
> courtesy blanking?  But, of course, not being one of the chosen, how
> can I tell that that is the case?  All I can see is that one day there
> is a page I posted on, and the next day that page, and my post, and
> that page's history is completely gone.  How do I know, again, not
> being among the annoited, that it hasn't been oversighted?  I don't.
> All I know is the history is gone, the innocuous, had nothing to do
> with conspiracies, history of a Wikipedia page is completely gone.
>
> So, having a category of deletions that only the uber-privileged even
> know whether that is it or not doesn't really mean anything.  The page
> was blanked, access to its history removed from the peons, those lower
> down pieces of doo-doo who are only good enough to, sometimes, write
> the encyclopedia.
>
> So, thanks for pointing out that I'm not good enough to know the
> difference--this seems to be the Wikipedia day for pointing out there
> are two solid classes of Wikipedians: those who are wanted, and those
> who aren't.
>
> KP

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023