[WikiEN-l] Hardblocking usernames

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 17:33:55 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, Benjamin Hallert <ben at vipmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of username blocks recently with account creation disabled
> and autoblock enabled, or a combination of the two.  Some of the admins I
> spoke with said they were doing this on purpose because of 'bad faith
> usernames'.  As these are essentially lifetime bans from Wikipedia (my IP
> address, while dynamic, lasts months at a time), I think the wording of WP:U
> should be changed so it doesn't explicitly endorse this, and I'd like some
> consideration to the idea of avoiding hardblocks for username violations
> because of the heaviness of the action.
>
> I've started a discussion on WP:U and on Template:UsernameHardBlocked about
> aspects of this issue and would like to solicit additional input from the
> community.
>
> Nowhere else on Wikipedia do we essentially within our powers ban someone
> for life on the result of a single misstep, and I don't believe we should do
> it here too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chairboy

Actually, accusations of sock puppetry can lead to bans for a single
misstep.  There is an arbcom that was halted based on an accusation of
sock puppetry and the user being banned for life because of the
ACCUSATION of sock puppetry and the results of a check user.  Everyone
who knows the editor at issue, even those of use who loathe him, knows
he never sock puppeted on Wikipedia.

So, we ban folks for life for a single non-misstep, banning them for
life for an actual misstep pales in comparison.

KP