[WikiEN-l] Clarification about prevailing AFD closing practices

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:44:40 UTC 2007

to an extent, theres also OFFICE actions and BLP concerns to be had. But its
best not to look to rigidly at the rules, use common sense. The only rule
that truely matters is what helps improve wikipedia towards its goal. Thats
why we have IAR as one of the five pillars. I just bring this up because
Deletion and Review discussions are usually crammed with wikilawyers.

On 8/7/07, Kamryn Matika <kamrynmatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/07, Leif Knutsen <vyerllc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like some views on an issue that's come to puzzle me very recently,
> > namely the basis for closing and deciding the outcome of an AFD. Here's
> my
> > understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong:
> > * Articles are generally subject to deletion if they violate any of the
> > criteria for inclusion, outlined here:
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_policy#Reasons_for_deletion
> > * If it is clear-cut, there are ways to accelerate the deletion policy
> > * If there is controversy, especially with notability, the matter is put
> > a community of editors who are interested in the discussion
> > * Unless a clear consensus emerges, the discussion goes for a prescribed
> > period of time
> > * No consensus defaults to keeping the article; only when there is a
> clear
> > sense to delete is it deleted
> > * As a matter of community trust, the closing admin is obliged to not
> have
> > an interest in any content dispute, but is rather charged with
> > interpreting
> > the sense of the discussion to discern whether there is a consensus.
> >
> > Did I get anything wrong here?
> >

> yep that is correct

-Brock