[WikiEN-l] Are there really articles on Wikipedia that need fixing, or just gossip that needs hashed?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Mon Aug 6 18:59:08 UTC 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Anthony wrote:
> > > If I'm not misremembering, you are not banned.  It's simply that you
> > > have made the personal choice to only be able to edit through TOR, and
> > > TOR exit nodes are by policy to be blocked on sight.  You are at any
> > > time free to edit without using TOR.
> >
> > Yeah, and gay people aren't banned from marrying, either.  They can marry
> > th opposite sex just like straight people can.  It's their choice to only
> > pick marriages that are not allowed; there are plenty of other marriages
> > which are allowed to them.
> >
> True, but how is that relevant?

Because it's an *analogy*.

We recognize that the argument about gays is completely bogus.  We know very
well that "sure, you can marry, you just can't marry anyone you'd want to
marry" is equivalent to "you can't marry at all".

Likewise, saying "you aren't banned, you're just banned from the only method
you want to use" is equivalent to "you are banned".