[WikiEN-l] Oh shit, Slashdot is an attack site!

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 5 21:07:20 UTC 2007

On 05/08/07, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Re: "BTW, I think there's a slight inaccuracy in your recollection. I don't
> think the common argument was that she was hurting the project by
> getting outed, I think it was that the project was being hurt by the
> attempts to continue covering her identity up afterward. SlimVirgin
> herself wasn't actually involved with that as far as I'm aware."
>
> I did a bit of refactoring myself on that, and for the record SV didn't ask
> me to.  That was based purely upon my reading of policy and arbitration
> precedents, in which only self-disclosures of an editor's identity may be
> repeated by others onsite.  It really doesn't matter whether an attempted
> outing is accurate or not, nor how well known the information may be
> elsewhere on the Internet.  Some of the trolls tried to use this example as
> a wedge issue: if we accept their claims then we allow them to override
> policy and arbitration and we create a loophole of unknown size in which
> Internet harassment becomes a basis for attempted identifications onsite.
> The double bind they tried to force us into is basically a claim that the
> sysop community would undermine Wikipedia's credibility and lend credence to
> the conspiracy story if we followed normal procedure and continued deleting
> those attempted disclosures.  In my view, I just followed normal procedure.
> SlimVirgin didn't become a public figure because one indivdual tried to
> astroturf a single story in three very minor venues.  The comparisons they
> tried to make to the Essjay incident don't bear up to any level of scrutiny.
>
> -Durova

Yes, I completely agree with this.  It doesn't matter much if the
argument is 'she got outed -> she hurt Wikipaedia -> she needs to
leave' or 'she got outed -> there was some response to this -> this
hurt Wikipaedia -> she needs to leave'.  Ultimately, it's not her
fault, and not only that, it's something on which she ought to be
supported, not told to leave.

So thanks for any and all deletions on this matter.  : )

Armed Blowfish