[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

SPUI drspui at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:30:30 UTC 2007

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On  0, SPUI <drspui at gmail.com> scribbled:
>> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>>> As for the pre-1964 stuff: precisely what notable material wasn't renewed?
>> Lots of maps.
>>
> This is a trivial point to make, so I'll make it offlist: maps are usually not notable. And the notable maps I can think of, like the Vinland Map, don't fall into this category of copyright.

Then you're using the stupid Wikipedia definition of notable.
Non-renewed maps can be used to illustrate articles about things shown
on them, or for research purposes. For instance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_New_York_City_Subway_expansion_%281929-1940%29
includes the two original maps of the proposed expansions, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highways#AASHO_and_the_states_fine-tune_the_plan:_1925-1926
includes the 1926 "final" plan (of course this is US Government, but
pretend it's not). Sure, for Wikipedia's purposes they can be redrawn,
but the originals are better for other articles to reference.